Sunday, January 14, 2007

Today will be a day that shall live in infamy

Well, my own personal infamy, anyway. It's been a low-key weekend... I went out to dinner with Mrs. TK on Friday night, to a lovely little restaurant in Dedham, MA called Isabella. Good food. Cute place. The table next to me was a horror show. It was a woman and her very elderly mother, and the entire conversation was about the elderly woman's future, or lack thereof. It was brutal, and much louder than it should have been. At one point, we overheard the daughter say, "Mom, we have two kids in college... we can't afford to find you a place to live until you die."

Sweet Jesus. Some fuckin' people. I can't imagine ever saying something like that to my mom. I wanted to punch the bitch.

Anyway. Saturday the wife left for work. She's doing two straight overnights, so she usually doesn't come home at all. Which means I live like a dog for two days. Yesterday I had what can only be called a video game bender, where I played PS2 for about 10 hours. I'm now trying to re-learn how to blink. Dork-out! During that time, Audrey the Beagle took it upon herself to grab a couple of cardboard boxes and chew them into teeny-tiny bite-sized pieces in my study. When I found the wreckage, she pranced around it with that "Look! Look what I did! Isn't it great!?" look. Meanwhile, Ceili the Wonder Dog is looking at me like Jay from The 40 Year Old Virgin: "I don't hang out with him! I work with him, and that's it! I tried to introduce him to a few nice people, and he made a fool of himself. I don't mess with him baby. That's not me."

Today is the infamous day. The Patriots play the Chargers in a game I'm terrified to watch. But I will. And then afterwards, I'll either celebrate or console myself with a friend of mine at some dirt-hole bar, since it is his birthday. We both have the day off tomorrow, which means things will get ugly. While many of my friends are smart, sophisticated people, this particular one is not. I love him to death, but he's a borderline degenerate. It will be a raucous evening of Miller Hi-Life and Rye Whiskey. Welcome to Hangovertown - population: me.

To keep this post from being too dull, here's one of my current favorite songs. "Alive With the Glory of Love" by Say Anything. Sure, they're a little derivative, but who isn't these days?



Anyway, that's all I got for now. I'm trying to think of something neat to write about tomorrow. Any ideas? Let's drink about it.

No comments: