I've been thinking a lot about music lately. Anyone who knows me knows I'm something of an obsessive when it comes to music - I've amassed a significant collection of stuff over the years, some of it that I still listen to to avidly, some not at all, and some (I guiltily admit) I haven't even heard yet. I'm constantly fucking with my Ipod and deleting/adding stuff, almost daily.
But what strikes me is that I will rarely listen to an album from start to finish. Frankly, even the best artists have filler on their albums, and it's hard to make it all the way through, especially when you're like me and have the attention span of a guppy. So I've decided to make a list - not of the best artists, not of the best albums, but of the most complete, consistent albums.
So without further ado (and in no order of preference), here are the albums that I will regularly listen to all the way through:
1. Moby - Everything is Wrong
2. DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
3. Jeff Buckley - Grace
4. The Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God
5. Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar
6. Uncle Tupelo - No Depression
7. Uncle Tupelo - March 16-20, 1992
8. Seal - Seal I
9. R.L. Burnside - Wish I Was In Heaven Sitting Down
10. The Postal Service - Give Up
11. Morcheeba - Big Calm
12. The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
13. Curtis Mayfield - Superfly
14. Elliott Smith - Figure 8
15. Jerry Douglas, Russ Barenberg, Edgar Meyer - Skip, Hop & Wobble
16. Fugazi - 13 Songs
17. Dropkick Murphys - Do Or Die
18. Drive-By Truckers - Gangstabilly
19. Simon and Garfunkel - The Concert In Central Park
20. The Buena Vista Social Club - The Buena Vista Social Club
21. Lyrics Born - Same Shit Different Day
22. The Goats - Tricks of the Shade
23. Sinead O'Connor - I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got
24. Citizen Cope - The Clarence Greenwood Recordings
25. Sonic Youth - Dirty
26. Faith No More - Angel Dust
27. Bad Brains - Rock For Light
28. Metallica - Master of Puppets
29. Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
30. Rocket From The Crypt - Scream, Dracula, Scream!
3/26 edit: The late additions
The Clash - London Calling
32. Mule - Mule
So there you go, for those who care. Keep in mind, these are the current favorites. I'm sure I've left of several albums that I used to obsess over five years ago, or ten, or... gulp, 15 years ago. And some of them are recent discovery, some of them are re-discovery. But that's the list for now. Interestingly, I've noticed a shortage of rap/hip-hop albums on this list, which is odd since I listen to those genres a lot. But in truth, hip-hop albums have way too many skits, and that annoys me after a time. In fact, Tricks of the Shade is probably cheating, but I just love it too much to leave it off the list. Anyway, I'm always taking music recommendations, so... any ideas?
Be good, kids.
PS - yes, this took fucking forever
PPS - Numbers 1, 2, 4, 6, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 19, 20, 22, 26, 28 & 29 (and 31)make my top 50 all-time greatest albums ever list.
PPPS - I was going to write a little narrative bit on each album, but let's be honest, this post is long enough as is.