Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Good Music Is Good For You, Part VI

I know, I know. Enough with the music posts. But I can't help myself. I just discovered this band and have fallen in love with them and wish to bear their children.

Er, or something.

Anyway. I got asked a while back why I only post/recommend music that is somewhat obscure. Matt, over at A Bowl of Stupid, has described a similar trait in himself as a certain degree of music snobbery.

I beg to differ. I don't know about the other folks I know who post music, but the truth is, I listen to a ton of popular music. I have every album Jay-Z ever released. I (guiltily admit) that I love Panic! at the Disco. I like My Chemical Romance, and Sarah McLaughlin, and Ludacris. But... well, honestly, what's the point in posting stuff by them? The average Joe or Jane knows them. Has probably seen the videos. I guess I figure if I'm going to post something for people to hear, might as well be something they'll hear for the first time (possibly).

Anyway. Enough with the foreplay, on to the fucking. Today's band is Murder By Death.



I discovered them by happy accident a couple of days ago, and now own every album they've made. They're a fascinating band, combining gothic sounds with alt-country, rock and a weird classical vibe, string instruments (including an electric cello), keyboards and some seriously awesome guitar feedback. It sounds pretentious as hell, but trust me on this. Most of their albums are released on their own label, Tent Show Records. Based out of Indiana (man, some surprisingly good stuff comes out of the Midwest), they have developed a sound that really caught me. Anyway, this track is off the album Who Will Survive And What Will Be Left Of Them, and is called "Until Moral Improves, The Beatings Will Continue", which has now reached my top ten favorite song titles. Can you tell I make a lot of lists in my head?

Enjoy.



ps - The name of the band (which, I know, sounds like a speed metal band) is actually based on the movie of the same name, a 1976 Neil Simon spoof on murder mysteries. It's actually very funny, so hell, I'll recommend that too. Just check out the cast - interesting, no?