Friday, December 15, 2006

I am a huge dork

Anyone who knows me knows this. I'm not a taped glasses, living in the basement dork... but I still play video games, love science fiction, and read the occasional comic book. Sure, I try to cool it up a little by dressing respectably and marrying someone substantially less dorky than I, but at heart, I am a giant geek.

So, in honor of said geekiness, I rented a couple of movies this week. Here's a quick review:

Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Mans Chest - Wow. Awful, awful movie. The first pirates movie was actually a pleasant surprise, because a) Johnny Depp was, as usual, freaking brilliant. Funny, goofy, and amazing to watch; b) the sets and effects were remarkable. Clever without being cartoonish; c) Keira Knightley - let's be honest - I'd watch Keira Knightley read a book for 90 minutes, and I don't even like that "skinny chick" look. But for her I'd make an exception.

So what went wrong? First, it fell victim to the classic sequel problem of trying to out-do it's predecessor. Too many explosions, ridiculous fight scenes, etc. Second, I think the novelty of Captain Jack has worn off. They didn't really take it anywhere new, so Depp was just sort of Jack Sparrow 1.2. Lame. 3. Orlando Bloom is still incredibly boring to watch. So yes, a profound disappointment.

I also watched...

Superman Returns: Like I said, giant dork. But goddamn if I didn't enjoy the hell out of it. Was is incredibly similar to the old Donner movie? Absolutely. Was it amazing to watch? Absolutely. Since I'm not a movie reviewer, I'll simply point out a few things: Kevin Spacey is amazing in his ability to completely become a character. There are only three or four major action scenes, and two of them absolutely blew me away - the plane rescue scene, and Supes flying through the city saving people during the earthquake. Brandon Routh had just enough to carry the role - I don't think he's destined to become a great actor, but he plays a very good Superman.

Anyway. Just a small glimpse into my geekiness.



By the way, this is over six minutes long, so beware. But Goddamn if it isn't fun.

No comments: